Steps On How To Make Coffee
Before we begin though, there are a few pieces of equipment that can greatly improve the quality and control of your coffee at home.
- Timer- this will allow you to accurately control the time of each brew.
- Scale- this will allow you to accurately weigh all components to effectively control the ratio elements between every brew.
- Grinder- As in many products, coffee is negatively affected by exposure to oxygen. As soon as you grind the coffee, it immediately starts to stale at a much quicker pace and loses it's aromatics within minutes. By grinding coffee directly before you brew, you are experiencing coffee at its peak of freshness.
In addition to these handy tools, let's also set out a few parameters that can be applied to majority of the brewing methods.
- Always use filtered water- because brewed coffee is 98% water, the quality of that water matters greatly.
- Coffee to water ratio- 10gr of coffee per 6oz of water
- Water brewing temperature- 195-205F